We recommend you get the DVD - same price as a download - unless you really can't wait 2 to 3 weeks or unless you are in one of the Pacific Islands where we can't mail the DVD to you. If you are in New Caledonia you can get the DVD from Noumea Ocean - at Port Sud Marina in Noumea. Call Chloe first to arrange a meeting. Her phone number and a google map showing her location are on her website www.noumeaocean.com.
If your computer does not have a DVD player you can transfer the files from a DVD to a USB drive to install the guides on your computer. Or, you can use Chloe's USB stick to transfer the installation files to your computer.
If you have a very good Internet connection then go ahead and download the guides - but first.....
Due to the very large size of these files you must use a download manager program to avoid problems with the download. A download manager speeds up the download (often by 400%), assures the files are completely downloaded and can check their integrity. If there is a brief server-interrupt during the download (and there is a very good chance of this) the download manager will resume the download without a problem. You'll be glad to have the download manager next time you go to download something from the Internet.
So, before you start the download, go to Freedownloadmanager.org and download and install the Mac version of this excellent, free program.
When you make your payment for the cruising guide you will immediately be transferred to a page with instructions for installing the guides, your username and password to log into the activation centre to activate the cruising guide and links for downloading.
An email is also sent to you from rocket-guides.com with the same information and links, detailed download and installation instructions and your password and username to log in to the activation center.
THE DOWNLOAD LINKS ARE ONLY VALID FOR 72 HRS.
IF THE COMPUTER YOU USE TO DOWNLOAD THE FILE IS NOT THE ONE YOU PLAN TO USE WHEN ACTUALLY CRUISING, COPY THE FILES ONTO A USB KEY AND TRANSFER THEM TO THE COMPUTER YOU INTEND TO USE IT ON. THE GUIDE WILL ONLY BE ACTIVATED FOR ONE COMPUTER BUT YOU CAN PURCHASE A SECOND ACTIVATION FOR YOUR BACKUP COMPUTER.
The companion travel guide does not need to be activated and you can use it on any computer you own.
1. First download and install the download manager.
2. Open the email from rocket-guides.com with the installation instructions. If you did not get one after your purchase check your spam box or use the contact form and we will send it again.
3. Right click on the link in the email and select "copy link address"
4. Open the download manager and select the "Add Download" icon. The download manager will pop up a small window showing the download and where it will be saved on your computer. Click OK. When the download is finished a small notification window will pop-up. Click on the Open to start the installation.
Most people download files of 10MB to 50MB and browsers can usually handle that sized file OK. But when you want to download a really big file - over 100MB - the browser download process can, and often does, fail. This is because during the time it takes to download a big file your connection to the server can be interrupted - either by something your computer decides to do or by one of the multitude of connections between your computer and where the file is stored on a server.
Our guides are very big files - 400 to 500MB - and the chances are that you'll have at least one interruption during the time it takes to download them. So the part that does download won't work and you'll need to start over again - and again.
To download the files without problems and to speed up the download you need to first download and install a free download manager.
We recommend you download: Freedownloadmanager.org
Restart your computer after the download manager is installed.
After the download manager is installed and you have restarted the computer right click on the installation file link in the email sent to you when you purchased the guide and and select "Copy Link Address" which will put the link address into the computer's clipboard.
FreeDownloadManager will detect the link in your clipboard and offer to start the download. Quick OK and the download process will begin.
There will be a small desktop button showing the active download. After it is finished, click on "open" or "folder" and double click on the downloaded file name. The installation will begin.
Did you get an error code saying "access denied. Invalid user space name or password"?
The download connection must have stopped for more than the allowed interval.
OK, let's see if we can fix it.
Check your power settings to be sure it is not going into standby mode when you are not using it.
To do this, click on the apple icon and select System Preferences then click on the lightbulb icon that says "Energy Saver"
On the top of the Energy Saver settings window select Power Adapter and make sure the Computer Sleep and Display Sleep are both set to "Never" and uncheck the Wake for Wi-Fi and Enable Power Nap check boxes.
You can reset these power settings to the default after you have downloaded the files.
Click OK. and OK to close the options box.
Begin the download process again, don't resume, restart. Keep an eye on the active download desktop indicator.
If the speed drops to zero and stays there for any length of time make sure you are still connected to the internet and, if not, fix the internet connection problem as quickly as you can. If the download indicator does not automatically begin showing the download speed again, open the downloadmanager window and click on the pause button. Then, after that changes to a play icon, click the play icon to resume the download.
1. Click on the Apple Icon and select System Preferences / Security & Privacy
2. Click on the Padlock and log in to make changes then select Allow Applications from Anywhere.
3. Click OK to save the change and then click on the back arrow to return to the System Preferences page.
If you don't see the "Anywhere" button you must have MacOS Sierra version 10.12 or later. Apple has decided to prevent you from running apps that are not sold from their store or from developers who do not pay them the annual developer's fees. Change the setting to Mac App Store and Identified Developers.
4. Click on the App Store icon in the System Preferences window and click OFF the checkmark next to "Automatically check for updates". Otherwise Apple will, without asking you, change your security settings back to the defaults. Also the updates will be taking up your valuable bandwidth downloading without your knowing it whenever you manage to connect to the Internet while cruising. But mostly, Apple's updates can break existing apps - like the cruising guide - and you don't want to do that when you need your guide the most. Turn auto updates back on when you are finished with your cruise. For more on Mac Update problems for Cruising Sailors click here.
5. Double click on the installation file INSTALL-MAC-VANUATU.
6. Put your cursor over the anchor and press down on the trackpad, slide your finger to the right while continuing to press down. This will move the anchor over the blue "Applications" folder. When the anchor is over the folder lift your finger off the trackpad. The application will then be copied into the applications folder.
(IF YOU DON'T DO THIS STEP YOU WILL GET A "LICENCE CODE IS DAMAGED" NOTICE WHEN YOU ATTEMPT TO ACTIVATE THE GUIDE IN THE NEXT STEP")
1. Open your Internet Browser (Safari or Chrome) and check to be sure you are connected to the Internet.
2. Open the email from email@example.com sent to you when you purchased this DVD to get the username and password to log into the activation site.
3. On the task bar (bottom of your desktop screen) click on the rocket ship to open the screen showing all your applications. You might have to swipe your fingers from right to left on the trackpad to move to the last screen where you will find the anchor icon for VANUATUCRUISING.
4. Double click on the anchor icon and a registration window will appear.
5. Click on the "Get Code" button. This will open the activation page in your Internet Browser. You might have to move the registration window to one side to see the login fields.
6. Log in with the username and password from the email.
7. Click on the select code button to highlight the license code and copy it using the Command+C keys.
8. In the registration window click on the "Unlock" tab and paste the license code into the form. Then add your username as shown on the activation site.
The guide will work on that computer unless you change something drastic (like the hard drive).
If the guide does not open after you install it properly, read the section below on Activation Problems for how to get it working.
If you purchased the guide online you were sent an email from Rocket Guides with the activation information, including the username and password.
If you did not get the email, use the contact form to send an email asking for another email.
Be SURE to use the same email address you used when you purchased the guide.
If you purchased the guide from a bookstore or agent they should have given you the username, password, and activation instructions. If they failed to do so, contact them and ask for the activation information. We can't help you because we don't know who buys the guides from a book store or agent.
Be aware that the only authorized sales agents are: Boat Books Australia, Boat Books New Zealand, Noumea Ocean, Noumea Yacht Services and the Island Cruising Association.
This is complicated so if there is any way your crusing computer can go online do it that way. But if it really can't access the Internet you can get the activation key from another computer that can go online (eg from an Internet Cafe or tablet) .
Here's what you need to do.
1. Insert a USB drive into your cruising computer. Open a txt file with notepad.
2. Start the cruising guide program and when the registration window appears, highlight and copy the hardware code (it will look something like A106-6409-N) shown on the bottom border of the registration window. Paste this into the text file.
3. Type the website address ncvan.us/vmac into the txt file.
4. Open the email from rocket-guides.com with your username and password. Copy these and paste them into the text file and save it to the USB drive
5. Open the txt file on a computer that can go on the Internet.
5. Go to ncvan.us/vmac, log in using your username and password.
7. Click on the link to activate the guide on a Mac from another computer.
8. Copy and paste the hardware code into the text box and click OK.
9. Copy the activation key and paste it into your text file then save it back to the USB drive.
10. Insert the USB key in your cruising computer, open the txt file and copy the activation key.
11. Start the guide, click on the unlock tab on the top of the registration window, and paste the activation key in the appropriate text box. Also enter your username - normally it is your email address, but if you bought the guide from a dealer it will be the username that you got from the dealer, not your email address. Then click OK.
If you try to activate the cruising guide on a second computer you will see a notification that you have already activated the guide on one computer. You'll see the hardware code of that computer and the activation key that works only on that computer. You will also see a link to a page where you can purchase a second license.
Or, log in to your online members account page using the login link in the support menu above where you'll see the same information and link.
Log in to your members account page using the login link in the support menu above to see your activation information, order a second license, or order a DVD or download of the latest version of the guide.
Open the applications folder in Finder and scroll down to the VANUATU CRUISING folder and double-click on that to open the folder, then click on the VANUATUCRUISING.app to see the date the file was modified.
The latest version is shown on the purchase page.
We are constantly updating the guides with new images and information. Check on our Google+ page for up to date notices to mariners and information on the latest versions.
Log into your online membership page using the login link on the support menu. You will need your username and password to log in.
If you don't know your username or password use the contact form to request access to the membership page where you can update your guide to the latest version by download or new DVD. Be sure to use the email address you used when you purchased the guide or the username given to you if you purchased the guide from an agent.
You missed step 5 in the installation process and have tried to start the guide from the installation package, not from the applications folder. The installation file is a compressed file to deliver the software. You need to move the software from the delivery package to the applications folder by dragging it's icon into the "applications" shortcut.
After you have moved the software from the installation package to your Applications Folder and have ejected the installation package use Finder to go to the Applications Folder, scroll down to the VANUATU CRUISING folder and double-click on that to open the folder, then double click on the VANUATUCRUISING.app to start the program and register the activation code.
If you have successfully activated the guide but when you click on the icon or double click on the app in the Application Folder there is a pause but the guide does not run there are a couple of possiblilities.
1. If Apple has updated the operating system without telling you it might have changed the security permissions back to only run apps downloaded from the Apple store. See the Installation and Activation section above to review how to check this.
2. If that's not the problem, try these work-arounds that might get it to run.
Use Finder to navigate to the Applications Folder. Scroll down to VANUATU CRUISING and double click on the folder icon to open the folder.
Two-Finger click on the VANUATULCRUISING.app and select open.
Didn't work? Two-finger click on VANUATUCRUISING.app and select Rename from the window. Rename the app to VANUATUCRUISING-1.app
Double click on the renamed file. If it runs, you will need to long click on the file name again and select "Make Alias". You can then delete the old alias icon from the menu bar and drag the new alias to the menu bar.
Still not working? You probably have MacOS Sierra version 10.12 or later. Two-finger click on the file and select "Copy VANUATUCRUISING" then two finger click on the desktop or on the documents folder and select Paste Item to paste the file onto the desktop or into the documents folder. Double click on the VANUATUCRUISING icon on the desktop or in documents and it should run from there. Next drag the program icon onto the menu bar to create an icon alias on the menu bar.
Scroll down to order a second license.
If you do not have the email or a username and password to log in, use the contact form to request access to the online membership page where you can update your guide and order a second license. Be sure to use the email address you used when you purchased the guide or the username given to you if you purchased the guide from an agent.
The license is able to detect which computer it is on by detecting hardware and software parameters. If you change your DVD Drive or hard drive or install a new operating system the registration box could appear again.
Contact us with an explanation of what you changed on your computer and the hardware number now showing in the registration box. We will be able to determine if it is the same computer and what has changed.